Pumpkin Curry Soup
* Prep Time: 15 minutes
* Cook Time: 1 1/2 - 2 hours
- 6 cups of one small-medium sized heirloom pumpkin, roasted
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Granny apples, diced
- 1 leek, white parts, diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups non-dairy milk*
- 1/3 cup brown sugar*
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- curried pumpkin seeds, toasted, to taste
- whole wheat bread, crust removed, cut in ghost shape, toasted, to taste
- Roast the pumpkin for 45-60 minutes according to these instructions.
- In a large pot, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and the onion. Sweat until translucent.
- Add the garlic, apples, and leek. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Next, add the vegetable broth, non-dairy milk, pumpkin, sugar, and all the spices.
- Cook for another 30 minutes or so.
- While soup is cooking, take about 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds, combine with 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1 tsp curry powder. Roast in oven for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Puree in batches.
- Serve with roasted pumpkin seeds and ghost shaped whole wheat crostini.