Friday, October 21, 2011

Ginger, Carrot, Beet, & Sweet Potato Soup Revisited

Every week, I get a box of organic vegetables from Door-To-Door Organics delivered to me (they even carry Upton's Naturals seitan which can be sent to your house too). Last week, they gave me beets, carrots, and sweet potatoes. I already had ginger and the rest of the ingredients, so I thought back to one of my first recipes on this blog back in early 2009. I remade it with better pictures this time, though!

Ginger, Carrot, Beet, & Sweet Potato Soup
* Prep Time: 15 minutes
* Cook Time: 45 minutes
* Ingredients:
  • 1 large beet (diced)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 of a medium onion (chopped)
  • 3-4 large carrots (diced)
  • 2-3 small sweet potatoes, diced 
  • 1/3rd small ginger root (minced)
  • 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
  • 4 cups of vegetable stock
  • 1 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • dash of onion powder
  • dash of garlic salt
  • dash of all-purpose seasoning
  • dash of oregano
  • dash of dried dill weed

* Recipe:
  1. Add olive oil and all the spices to medium pot. Add chopped onions and sautee until translucent.
  2. While onions are cooking, peel the beet, carrots, and sweet potatoes. Dice all.
  3. As the onions begin to cook, add the garlic and ginger root to the pot.
  4. Add the carrots, cook for 5 minutes.
  5. Put the beets and sweet potatoes in and the vegetable stock. Simmer for 30-40 minutes.
  6. When done cooking, put in a blender to make a puree. Serve hot.
* Note: I did not throughly puree. I wanted a few chunks of vegetables in there.

This is a great cold weather soup. The combination of ingredients doesn't make it too earthy (as beets tend to taste in soups), but hearty instead.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

This soup is FABULOUS, thanks for the recipe! Made my own stock with mixed veggie scraps from the freezer and the results were just superb, I'll definitely make this again.

Megan said...

Wow! I was not sure what to expect, but this is super yummy!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing