Israeli Couscous Risotto with Mushrooms, Kale, & Herbs
|Instagram Photo (User: veganmiss)|
* Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 package (1 oz.) dried mushroom mixture*
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dinosaur kale, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (optional)*
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced
- vegan Parmesan, to top (optional)*
- In a pot, boil the dried mushrooms until tender. Reserve 2 cups of the mushroom water.
- In the same pot, sautee the onions in olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for a minute or two.
- Chop the rehydrated mushrooms and add the mushrooms, kale, herbs, salt, and pepper to the pot. Cook until kale begins to wilt.
- Add the couscous and cook for a few minutes. Add a laddle or two of mushroom water to the couscous. Stir often. Once the liquid has disappeared, add another laddle or two.
- Continue adding liquid in this manner until the 2 cups run out. While you are doing this, add the wine, lemon, and milk (if using) as you go too, a bit at a time.
- Top with vegan Parmesan if desired.