Portobello Shepard's Pie Revisited
|Instagram Photo (User: veganmiss)|
* Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 3 large portobello mushroom caps, stems and "gills" removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 package (8 oz.) Upton's Naturals Ground Beef-Style seitan, diced*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce*
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 lb. red creamer potatoes*
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk*
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1 tbsp vegan butter*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil the potatoes in salt water until tender with fork. Depending on preference, remove skins from potatoes after boiled.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- While the potatoes are boiling, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and salt and pepper. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Next, add the seitan and cook until it just starts to brown.
- Add the garlic, carrots, and peas. Cook until the carrots become tender.
- After the filling mixture has cooked, add the flour and toss the mixture in the skillet, coating all of it. Add the vegetable broth, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, and thyme. Cook for a few minutes. The mixture should then be a thicker consistency.
- After the potatoes are boiled, mash in a bowl with the chives, butter, and salt and pepper. Add more butter to taste, if needed.
- Stuff the portobello caps with the mixture from the skillet. Top with a heaping pile of mashed potatoes. (Be sure to pack the mixture in so that all the gaps are filled. Top the mushrooms with the mashed potatoes liberally; you are basically sealing the stuffing in.)
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Broil for another 2-3 minutes until the mashed potato tops are golden.
I posted an entry a bit ago regarding all my various DIY project I do. Just thought I'd post a picture of the vegan bath bomb fizzies I made. I also made some dill pickle spears and pickled red onion. The bread and butter pickle spears and pickled garlic I made about 2 months ago were broken into this week and they were a fan favorite! Everyone loved them. ♥