Fried Rice Vegan Style
* Prep Time: 30 minutes
* Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 block (14 oz.) firm tofu, pressed, sliced
- 2-3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, diced
- 2 cups broccolini (or broccoli), chopped
- 2 cups bell peppers, variety of colors, sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp mirin*
- 1/2 tbsp dried Thai basil (optional)
- black pepper, to taste
- sesame seeds, to garnish
- green onions, sliced, to garnish
|Instagram Photo (User: veganmiss)|
- Chop all the vegetables and get them prepared. While you are prepping, heat 1 tbsp of peanut oil in a wok over medium heat. Once hot, add the slices of tofu and cook on both sides until golden.
- Cook the rice while you are prepping the vegetables as well.
- Once the tofu is cooked, remove from wok and set aside. Add the remaining peanut oil, then put the onions in the wok. Once the onions start to turn translucent, add the garlic and ginger.
- Next, add in the carrots, green beans, broccolini (or broccoli), and bell pepper. Cook until the vegetables start to become tender. Add the mushrooms and peas. Cook through.
- When the vegetables are done cooking, add in the cooked brown rice and tofu. Toss and mix well. Add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, mirin, Thai basil, and pepper. Taste to see if the fried rice needs a little more soy sauce, vinegar, or mirin.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.