Monday, April 16, 2012

Kasha Varnishkes

Being half Russian and a quarter Polish, I enjoy my kasha (buckwheat). Here is my kasha pilaf recipe that my aunt veganized for me. This is another simple Eastern European dish that I enjoy. I think it would go good with pierogies and cabbage!

Kasha Varnishkes
* Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
* Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
* Ingredients:
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup button mushrooms, sliced
  • 3-4 tbsp olive oil or vegan butter*
  • 1 cup buckwheat (kasha)
  • 2 "egg replacers", follow box instructions*
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup bow-tie pasta, cooked
* Recipe:
  1. In a deep skillet or large pot over medium heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil or butter and cook the onions and mushrooms until the onions are translucent.
  2. In a bowl, combine the egg replacer and kasha. 
  3. Add the kasha mixture to the skillet and cook until the kasha starts to toast or brown further. 
  4. Next, add the vegetable stock, salt, pepper, and bring to a boil. Let the kasha cook covered until tender.
  5. Add in the cooked bow-tie pasta and the remaining olive oil or butter. Combine well.
* Note: I used olive oil for my version and for egg replacer, I used Ener-G.

No comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing