Monday, April 30, 2012

Beefless Beef Stroganoff

As I mentioned in my recipe post of country fried steak with gravy, I only used half a can of Worthington Multigrain Cutlets for that recipe. The other half I saved in the fridge and made this recipe with a few days later. I didn't want to just coat and fry the cutlets, so I thought the seitan steaks chopped up would be good in a beefless beef stroganoff.

Again, I'm not aware of any seitan steak products like these. Most seem to be made like crumbles or pieces. For this recipe, you could easily use West Soy seitan pieces. You could make your own seitan cutlets to achieve the same results in this recipe (and you would have leftover seitan for something else). Here is my seitan cutlet recipe.

Beefless Beef Stroganoff

* Prep Time: 10 minutes
* Cook Time: 20-30 minutes
* Ingredients:
  • 1/2 can (4) multigrain cutlets, drained, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 green onions, sliced
  • 1 cup vegan sour cream*
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk*
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 package (8 oz.) ribbon noodles* 
* Recipe:
  1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Once boiling, add noodles and cook until slightly al dente (around 8-10 minutes).
  2. In a large frying pan, heat oil and saute onions and seitan until the seitan starts to brown.
  3. Add the mushrooms and sautee until soft.
  4. Combine the milk and cornstarch.
  5. Add half the green onions and cook until soft. Once soft, add sour cream and milk mixture.
  6. Season with paprika, salt, and pepper. Reduce to low heat and allow to simmer until thick.
  7. Add noodles directly from the boiling water to the stroganoff. Stir until completely coated. 
  8. Garnish with the remaining green onions and serve.
* Note: For vegan sour cream, I used Tofutti. I like almond milk, but feel free to use whatever non-dairy milk you enjoy. For ribbon noodles, I used Eden Foods Organic Spinach Pasta Ribbons. Traditionally, stroganoff is made with egg noodles and these are somewhat similar.

1 comment:

Cheap Beef Jerky said...

Beefless beef stroganoff? Wow, this is VERY good! I used a left over strip steak which made it even that much easier! The flavor amazing. I will make this again.... ok and again! I recommend this to everyone...very easy!My two sons and husband love this meal.
Cheers-
@Marian

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing