Penne in Forest Mushroom Vodka Sauce
* Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
* Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 dozen hothouse tomatoes*
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 medium carrot, grated
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 oz. dried forest mushroom blend, rehydrated, chopped
- 12 oz. penne pasta
- 6 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1/2 cup vegan heavy whipping cream*
- 1/3-1/2 cup frozen peas
- vegan Parmesan, to taste*
- In a large pot, boil the tomatoes until the skin starts to crack and peel. Remove from pot and peel the skin off the tomatoes.
- Take the water out of the large pot and add the tomatoes, olive oil, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cook on medium heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrot and vodka. Reduce by 1/4th or for about 15 minutes.
- In a medium sized pot, rehydrate the mushrooms. Once soft, remove and boil pasta in the mushroom water.
- Once the sauce is reduced, add the basil, parsley, thyme, heavy whipping cream, peas, and chopped mushrooms. Cook until peas are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf. Combine the pasta with the vodka sauce. Serve with Parmesan to top.