Mushroom & Kale Pizza with Truffle Oil
* Prep Time: 50 minutes
* Cook Time: 15 minutes
* Ingredients (for dough):
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp yellow cornmeal & flour (used to dust counter to roll out dough)
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dinosaur kale, chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese*
- 1 tbsp white truffle oil*
- vegan Parmesan, to taste*
- In a separate bowl, combine water, sugar, and active dry yeast to activate yeast and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- In a mixer, add the dry ingredients and mix on a low setting using a bread hook. When the yeast is ready, add it to the mixer with the olive oil. Let the dough form in the mixer until it forms a uniform ball and starts to climb the bread hook. (If you do not have a mixer, then combine the dry ingredients with the bowl of yeast, kneed until smooth.)
- Remove and let stand for about 45-50 minutes or until it doubles in size. (You want the crust to be more fluffy for your end product, so you should allow more time for the dough to rise.)
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- While dough is rising, sautee onions over medium heat in olive oil until caramelized.
- Stretch the dough to fit a round pizza baking pan. Lightly dust with flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Make the middle dough thinner in order for the outside dough to be thicker (for thicker crust).
- Add about half the vegan mozzarella, the caramelized onions, kale, vegan Parmesan, then mushrooms. Top with the remaining mozzarella and drizzle with truffle oil (including over crust).
- Bake for 15 minutes.