Okay, so these might have been better for my Super Bowl post, but still good! They take a bit of time to make, but you can't resist the taste.
* Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
* Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 6 medium to large russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup vegan bacon, chopped*
- 3/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese, shredded*
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean potatoes and wrap in foil.
- Bake potatoes in oven for one hour.
- After one hour, remove from oven and open foil to vent.
- Once cool to touch, slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the center leaving about a quarter of an inch of skin and potato.
- Turn up oven to 450 degrees.
- Brush inside and outside of potatoes with oil.
- Place potatoes scoop side down in a baking pan or baking sheet with a wire rack so the potatoes have a place to drip the oil.
- Bake for ten minutes.
- While baking, fry the bacon until crisp.
- Flip the potatoes over so the skin side is down. Bake for ten more minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each with bacon and cheese. Broil until cheese has melted.
- Mix the sour cream with the majority of the chives. Reserve about a tablespoon to top later.
- Top with sour cream mixture, the remaining chives, salt, and pepper.
- Optional: For the scooped potato remains, one could make mashed potatoes. Check out my recipe here: My Mom's Mashed Potatoes.