Friday, November 4, 2011

Product Review: Sophie's Kitchen Vegan Seafood + Sauce Recipes

Hidden within the vegetarian section of the freezer aisle of my local health food store, I found Sophie's Kitchen mock seafood. I was surprised by the fact that they make vegan calamari and fish fillets, but also that it was randomly at this health food store! You can't blame me for being skeptical. But, I thought I would give this stuff a shot, if not just to purely say I've tried vegan calamari. I'm pretty open to crazy veg food, but there are some things that should be left not re-made cruelty-free (like vegan haggis [if you don't know what haggis is, please Google it] or mutton, anyone?). Once upon a time, I made a retro vegan salmon mousse mold. To the horror of everyone, it... turned out a lot like salmon mousse mold. Scary recipe best used for Halloween gags. 

Now, I know Sophie's Kitchen is a legit brand, so I had some hope. The calamari was really impressive mostly because it had the same chewy consistency of real calamari. Weird. I hated the real thing prior to being vegan, so it doesn't surprise me that I did not like it at all. But, if you liked calamari before, this is definitely worth trying. I sort of thought it might be like an onion ring, but nope, very chewy. The fish fillets were quite a bit better. It was flakey and would have been good to make a sandwich out of. I made various sauces for each, so below are the recipes. For the mock seafood, just follow box instructions to cook.

For the calamari, I made an aioli and a remoulade. For the fish fillets, I made a lemon dill tartar sauce. These all came out great. I would recommend on something other than mock seafood, though. The tartar sauce would be good for mock crabcakes (with tofu or otherwise), the aioli would be good with a veggie burger, and the remoulade good with fried green tomatoes.


Aioli

* Prep Time: 5-10 minutes
* Cook Time: n/a
* Ingredient:
  • 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise*
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1/4 tsp garlic, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp olive oil
* Recipe:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
* Note: For vegan mayonnaise, I used Earth Balance olive oil based brand.


Remoulade

* Prep Time: 10 minutes
* Cook Time: n/a
* Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup spicy mustard
  • 2 tbsp ketchup
  • 1/2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1/8 tsp white pepper
  • cayenne pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • salt, to taste
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup celery, minced
  • 1/2 tsp parsley
  • 1/2 tbsp white onion, diced
  • 1/2 tbsp green onion, minced
  • 1 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp hot sauce
  • 1 tsp capers
* Recipe:
  1. Combine all ingredients well.
Lemon Dill Tartar Sauce

* Prep Time: 10 minutes
* Cook Time: n/a
* Ingredients:
  • 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp dill pickle relish
  • 1 tbsp white onion, minced
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp capers
  • 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
* Recipe:
  1. Combine all ingredients. Mix well. 
Happy sauce making!

No comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing