Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Vegan Chicago: Review of Victory's Banner Restaurant

Brunch is my favorite meal. Two of my friends and I regularly do Sunday brunch. It's good fun! We usually go to the same places (such as Revolution Brewing, Handlebar, the Chicago Diner, & Kitsch'n), but I've been meaning to try Victory's Banner for a really long time. So, I took the opportunity to try it.

Tofu Scramble
Victory's Banner is a small restaurant in the heart of Roscoe Village. With quaint stores and other neighborhood restaurants and bars along Roscoe Ave., Victory's Banner fits right in. During the summer in Chicago, you must sit outside to eat even if it is a hundred degrees outside. We spend far too long indoors during the winter/spring/fall to not do so. For brunch, we sat outside and the owner was very friendly, talking to us about the restaurant, menu, and asking about ourselves. 

The restaurant is entirely vegetarian with many vegan options. The people that work there also are practitioners of meditation and followers of an Indian spiritual master. Don't be surprised to see the wait staff in sari's!

Soy sausage & side vegetables
I had the tofu scramble. The tofu was seasoned very well. You have a choice of adding two types of vegetables to it. I opted for a side of mixed grilled vegetables in order to add more than just two. I also got a side of soy sausage (the soy bacon had egg in it). To top it all off, it came with some very hardy bread and soy butter and homestyle potatoes. To wash it down, I had some apple juice. 

Victory's Banner is definitely a place to go to as a vegetarian or vegan on the prowl for a yummy brunch in Chicago! Highly recommend and I'll be going back sometime soon.

Mini chocolate cupcake
On the way home, I stopped at Delicious Cafe near Victory's Banner. It is an all vegan cafe with sandwiches and baked goods. The only non-vegan item is dairy milk for coffee. I had a mini chocolate cupcake for dessert. Delicious is a great place to get a sandwich, cup of coffee, and sit on your computer. 


Also to note, in my last post about vegan-friendly restaurants in Chicago, I didn't know there were two Mexican restaurant's now serving vegan food. One is Quesadilla Mexican Vegetarian Cuisine which is Chicago's only all vegetarian and vegan Mexican restaurant. Check out a picture of their menu here. It looks awesome with vegan tacos, tortas, and of course, quesadillas. The other Mexican place is La Cocina which is serving Upton's Naturals seitan in their tacos. 
Support local vegan-friendly restaurants!

No comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing