Thursday, October 11, 2012

Tempeh Reuben Sandwich

A long time ago, I made a seitan Reuben sandwich that was mighty yummy (I also have a California Reuben sandwich with a killer vegan turkey meat recipe). I thought I'd change it up with tempeh this time and a marinade.

Tempeh Reuben Sandwich

Instagram Photo (User: veganmiss)
* Prep Time: up to 24 hours
* Cook Time: 20 minutes
* Ingredients (for tempeh marinade):
  • 1 package (8 oz.) tempeh, cut 1/2 in. slices*
  • 2 tbsp peanut oil
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar 
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 1/2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar
  • 1 tsp mesquite liquid smoke
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp dried ground mustard
  • 1/2 tsp juniper berries*
  • 1/2 tsp caraway seeds*
  • salt and pepper, to taste
* Ingredients (for sandwich):
  • vegan thousand island dressing*
  • rye bread
  • sauerkraut
  • vegan cheese*
* Recipe:
  1. Combine all marinade ingredients in a large ziplock bag. Add tempeh. Marinate for 1-2 hours up to 24 hours.
  2. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh slices (no need to add oil since it is in the marinade). Cook until golden on both sides.
  3. Toast the rye bread. Place vegan cheese on bread. Melt cheese (I toasted on a skillet and the cheese melted that way). Add sliced tempeh, sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing.
* Note: The tempeh I used was Lightlife flax seed. I used juniper berries and caraway seeds in the marinade because they are used in corned beef preparations. If you don't have these items, then you could probably omit them. The vegan thousand island dressing I used was my own from a seitan Reuben sandwich recipe I posted a long time ago (Russian dressing is essentially thousand island). For vegan cheese, I used Daiya's wedge harvati. Usually Swiss cheese is used in Reuben's, but I don't know any vegan Swiss cheese. So, I went to another white cheese other than mozzarella.

1 comment:

Haddock said...

That is appetizing :-)

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing