Bangers and Mash with Mushy Peas & Onion Gravy
* Prep Time: 15 minutes
* Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
* Ingredients (for bangers and mash):
- 1/2 VM's "My Mom's Mashed Potatoes" recipe
- 4 vegan sausages*
- 8 oz frozen peas
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- pinch sugar*
- 2 tbsp soy butter*
- 1/4 small yellow onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour*
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup white wine*
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with water
* Recipe (for bangers and mash):
- In a grill pan on medium heat, place the vegan sausages and cook each side turning over every few minutes. Cook for a total of about 10-15 minutes.
- In a small pot, add peas and water. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, pepper, sugar, and butter. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until all the liquid has evaporated.
- Mash the peas when done cooking.
- Add olive oil to a small sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Next, add the flour and combine well with the onions. Put in the remaining ingredients.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the gravy is thick.