Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Vegan London: Part Three

Finishing my blogging about my adventures in veganism in Western Europe... I give you Vegan London: Part Three. Part's One and Two are posted from 2009. In 2007, I lived there for a time. It is hands down my favorite city in the whole wide world, plus it is super vegan-friendly! 


My first night, I went to my favorite vegan-friendly restaurant in London, Mildred's. It is located in the always fun Soho district. For starters, I had the special vegan salad, the quinoa salad. It was really good! For my entree, I decided to try something British - mixed mushroom, porcini, and ale pie served with fries and mushy peas. Mmm! For dessert, I had a real chocolate-y delight: raspberry chocolate truffle.


On Sunday, I went to Spitalfields Market. It is a vintage and one-of-a-kind mecca. I <3 Spitalfields. They have, literally, arena size marketplaces with all sorts of neat DIY vendors and vintage stores all around. Near the markets is Brick Lane which is a famous Indian and Bengali neighborhood. Therefore, it is super vegan friendly! I had a cheap lunch in a restaurant on Brick Lane and spent the afternoon in Spitalfields and walking down Brick Lane, trying street food as well. Those cupcakes and yummy desserts are not vegan, but boy were they cute to look at!


Covent Garden is a very touristy area of London. Trying to find Neal's Yard in Covent Garden is a bit like trying to find a needle in a haystack. It's hidden somewhere in the midst of old cobblestone side streets and between tall buildings. After much searching, you will find it tucked away and be inspired by its vegan and organic goods! In Neal's Yard, there is the famous Neal's Yard Salad Bar, World Food Cafe, and Neal's Yard Remedies. Neal's Yard Remedies has many great vegan, organic skin and hair products, soaps, oils, etc. I use them myself and I love it. I first found them when I lived in London and have been using it since. They have sellers in the United States too. When I lived in Japan, to my surprise, I ran into a Neal's Yard Remedies store in Shibuya!



I love having lunch in the park. It is especially fun in one of London's many beautiful parks. I chose to have some Japanese take out (Wasabi - it is a popular chain in London) and eat my lunch on a park bench in Green Park. I had curry tofu and noodles.





While wandering around Soho trying to find a good veggie place for dinner, I ran into a newer vegetarian restaurant that was not there three years ago. It is called Zilli. There was the restaurant and they have a smaller cafe next to it. The food was really good, but the service was awful. To begin, I had organic bread with olive oil and hummus and a mixed green salad. For entree, I had tofu sausage with spring onion mash, mushroom gravy, and mushy peas. To finish, I had organic tofu & limoncello cheesecake with chocolate ice cream. 


Afternoon tea is a must in London. I was determined to find a vegan afternoon tea place. The Flemings Hotel was just across the street from me and guess what? They had vegan afternoon tea! It wasn't that great, but it was a good start.


The last vegan restaurant I tried was 222 Veggie Vegan Restaurant. It wasn't the easiest place to find or get to by the tube. I had to walk 15 minutes each way from the tube in the pouring rain. The food was homey and good, though! To start I had cream of asparagus soup with bread and garlic bread. For my main dish, I had seitan stroganoff. 




 I <3 London!

No comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing