Friday, September 23, 2011

Product Review: Starbucks Sesame Noodle Bistro Box

A few months ago, Starbucks released a new line of lunch options including an all vegan sesame noodle bistro box. Until a few years ago, us vegans only had a latte with soy milk as an option at this coffee chain. Since then, Starbucks has added dried fruit, nuts, vegan cookies, sweet potato chips, and vegan frappaccino's (my favorite). But, if you wanted something substantial to eat, vegans were out of luck (if you are a vegetarian, they have had a protein plate of an egg, cheese, and fruit). From Starbucks description online:  

"Sesame noodle salad tossed with broccoli florets, carrots, red peppers, sugar snap peas and a creamy peanut dressing is served with a cucumber carrot salad, crunchy sesame peanuts and baked tofu with lightly spiced lime glaze. For dessert, a premium Starbucks dark chocolate."

As you can imagine, I was very excited to try this. Sadly, I was incredibly disappointed. It has a odd taste of preserves. I understand it has to stay good for a bit, but the whole taste was off. The veggies were far from fresh which is I suppose is to be expected. The best part was probably the sesame crackers and chocolate, honestly. I would only buy this again (especially for how much they are asking for it - around $7) if I was desperate. I would recommend trying this for the sake of trying it, but otherwise, don't buy it. Not worth it, tastes average to below average, and overpriced. Shame. Get a vegan frappaccino instead!

5 comments:

Amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler said...

What a bummer that it doesn't actually taste good. Hopefully they'll keep trying.

Bobbie {the vegan crew} said...

Wow, that's too bad. While I wouldn't normally stop into a Starbucks to pickup something like this, I was looking forward to trying it one day when on the road.

Ilene said...

I'm curious about the vegan frappacino at Starbucks. Last time I asked they told me the mix has dairy in it. Is there something special I need to request to get a vegan one?

Found your blog via a link on vegweb. I'm going to try some of your recipes out.

Thanks!
Ilene

Miss Lexy said...

They've changed their frappacino's in the past year. None contain dairy in the mix anymore. You can have them made separate with soy milk.

Thank you for checking out my website! :)

Anonymous said...

It is pretty gross for the price, but as you said, the sesame peanuts and chocolate are yummy. I'm glad they are making efforts, but hopefully they will come with something better, like a vegan panini!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing