Monday, August 1, 2011

Lemon & Lavender Chick'n with Quinoa Pilaf and Asparagus

I was inspired by the spice rack on this one!


Lemon & Lavender Chick'n with Quinoa Pilaf and Asparagus
* Prep Time: 10 minutes
* Cook Time: 40 minutes
* Ingredients (for quinoa pilaf):
  • 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1/2 red and orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 zephyr squash, diced*
  • 3 small tomatoes, diced
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock
  • truffle salt, to taste*
  • fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
* Ingredients (for lemon & lavender chick'n):
  • 3 tbsp Mediterranean spiced olive oil*
  • 1 tsp Herbs de Provence with lavender*
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  • 1/2 tsp truffle salt
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • tiny pinch saffron
  • 1 package Gardein chick'n scallopini*
* Ingredients (for asparagus):
  • 1 bunch green asparagus
  • 1 tbsp balsamic reduction, drizzled*
* Recipe (for quinoa pilaf):
  1. Place quinoa and water in a small pot and cook covered on medium to low heat for 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile in another medium pot, add olive oil and bring to medium heat. Throw in the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook until onions are translucent.
  3. Add celery and carrots and cook for another 5 minutes.
  4. Add bell peppers, squash, tomatoes, stock, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Cook for another 10 minutes.
  5. Mix in the cooked quinoa with the vegetables. Add the cilantro. Cook on low for another 5 minutes if it is too mushy still.
* Recipe (for lemon & lavender chick'n):
  1. Heat skillet to medium heat.
  2. Mix all ingredients except chick'n patties. Add to skillet.
  3. Place the patties in skillet and cook on both sides until done, about 5-10 minutes.
* Recipe (for asparagus):
  1. Cut ends off asparagus and steam in large pot for about 10 minutes until tender.
  2. Drizzle with balsamic reduction.
* Note: Zephyr squash were readily available at my local health food store with their organic produce. You could use an ordinary squash. Truffle salt is just something I picked up. Regular salt will do. The Mediterranean infused olive oil is again something I picked up. Feel free to use a regular olive oil versus an infused one. I couldn't find straight dried lavender and as a result I ended up with the Herbs de Provence with lavender which I think I like better anyways! Gardein is a great company and one can find it at most grocery stores with the organic products or Boca products. Lastly, the balsamic reduction is something I found bottled in the spice aisle at the store. One could just drizzle plain old balsamic on top if they chose.

5 comments:

Pat @ Lose Weight Healthy said...

This looks delicious - can't wait to try it. I am adding the ingredients to my shopping list right now. Thanks so much!!

Gina said...

Looks yummy! You sound like me - a great experimenter with spices. I think I actually have everything for this recipe in my pantry! Gonna try it.

Rika @ Vegan Miam said...

Yummy!

xxx from Vienna

Chris Foresman said...

Real herbs de Provence always has lavender in it, but if you want straight lavender, you can get it at The Spice House in Old Town: http://www.thespicehouse.com/
That's where I get all my stuff—it's pretty much way cheaper than getting them anywhere else, and the stuff always tastes better.

Miss Lexy said...

I didn't know it had lavender in the real stuff! I usually go to the Spice House (it's not far), but I was not in town when I made this. How I was wishing I had the Spice House!! That olive oil place next door is awesome too.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing