Homemade Pickled Fried Green Tomatoes & Fried Pickles
* Prep Time: 15 minutes
* Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp citrus spice*
- pinch of cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk*
- 1 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 2 egg replacers, followed to box instructions*
- vegetable oil, for frying
- pickle spears
- pickled green tomato wedges
- Make sure the pickled green tomatoes and pickles are cold. Keep them in the fridge until you need them.
- Heat the oil you'll need for frying either in a large skillet on medium heat or in a deep fryer (which I used).
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, paprika, citrus spice, cayenne, and salt and pepper.
- In another large bowl, combine the milk and vinegar. Place in fridge and let chill for at least five minutes.
- Combine the egg replacer in a small bowl and add to the bowl with the buttermilk. Mix well.
- Coat the green tomatoes and pickles in the dry mixture, then the buttermilk mixture, then coat in the dry mixture again until completely covered.
- Fry in oil until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with vegan ranch or hot sauce and a lemon wedge.
I'm not sure if you can find pickled green tomatoes in stores, but you could always use fresh tomatoes. These were so fantastic - a real southern treat!