Fennel, Artichoke, and Eggplant Caponata
* Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
* Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1/2-3/4 medium eggplant, peeled, diced small
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced small
- 1/2 can (15 oz.) artichoke hearts, finely chopped*
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce*
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tsp sugar*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp celery tops, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- sliced baguette, toasted
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and allow to sweat.
- Next, add the garlic, green onion, celery, fennel, eggplant, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, tomato sauce, vinegar, capers, pine nuts, sugar, and salt and pepper. Cook for about 20-25 minutes until the vegetables are all tender.
- Once vegetables are tender, add the remaining ingredients except the bread. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature or warm with toasted baguette slices.