Meatout is a worldwide event run by FARM that takes place yearly. From their website, "On (or around) March 20, thousands of caring people in all 50 U.S. states and two dozen other countries get active to host educational events for Meatout- the world's largest grassroots diet education campaign. Activists distribute free food, educate their communities, and ask their friends, families, and neighbors to "kick the meat habit” and explore a wholesome, compassionate diet of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains."
As a part of the activism for Meatout, they have asked me and many other bloggers to hold an e-event by posting a special recipe on their blog today, March 20th. In honor of this, I decided to make a rather simple but delicious meal.
Chick'n Bacon Ranch Sandwich
* Prep Time: 5 minutes
* Cook Time: 15 minutes
* Ingredients (for sandwich):
- 1 Gardein Chickn Scallopini patty*
- 2 slices of Lightlife veggie bacon*
- 1 romaine lettuce leaf
- 1 slice of vegan cheese*
- 1/4 of avocado, sliced
- 1 bun*
- 1 tbsp vegan ranch (or to taste)
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise*
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or to taste)*
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp garlic red wine vinegar
- Combine all ingredients. Mix well.
- In a small skillet, fry the chick'n patty until golden brown on each side.
- In the same skillet, fry up two slices of veggie bacon until slightly crispy on each side.
- Again in the skillet, toast the insides of a sliced roll until crispy.
- Construct the sandwich by bottom bun, lettuce, chick'n, bacon, and cheese. Microwave the sandwich so the cheese melts. Add the avocado and ranch. Top with the remaining half of the bun.
* Prep Time: 10 minutes
* Cook Time: n/a
* Ingredients (for salad):
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup black olives
- 1/3 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium vine tomato, chopped
- 1/3 large cucumber, chopped
- 2 tbsp soy feta*
- 4-5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, juice squeezed
- 2 tbsp garlic red wine vinegar
* Recipe (for salad):
- Chop all the vegetables and combine well in a bowl. Take half the vegetables and place in one bowl, the other half in another bowl.
- Top with 1 tbsp soy feta on each bowl.
- Lastly, add the salad dressing to each bowl.
- Combine the oregano, salt, pepper, lemon, and vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in the olive until combined.