Thursday, March 8, 2012

Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping

I'm known to make blueberry muffins with streusel topping for gift baskets that I decorate with cloth and ribbon. It's a nice housewarming or "thank you for having me over" gift. I've modified my recipe a bit, but it's still a big winner. Grandmothers have asked me for the recipe, so it must be good! ;]

Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping

* Prep Time: 10 minutes
* Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
* Ingredients (for batter):
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup turbinado sugar*
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil*
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy milk*
  • 1 "egg", made via box instructions*
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
* Ingredients (for streusel):
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup turbinado sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1-2 tbsp vegan butter*
* Recipe:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the batter. In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients. 
  3. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until clumps are gone. The batter should be less thick than cookie dough, but less runny than cupcake batter.
  4. Add the blueberries and gently stir being careful not to destroy the blueberries.
  5. In another small bowl, combine the streusel ingredients.
  6. Line a cupcake tray with liners or spray with non-stick. Add about 3/4th of the way full with batter in each hole.
  7. Top each muffin with streusel topping.
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of a muffin.
* Note: I use turbinado sugar in this because I feel it is what makes it so tasty. I've made these with regular white sugar and it just doesn't taste as delicious. I used Sugar in the Raw. I used coconut oil because it works great in baking due to its neutral flavor. It's also really healthy for you (well, maybe not in a muffin, haha). One could replace this with vegetable oil instead. I used soy milk for non-dairy milk but use whatever is handy. For an egg, I used Ener-G. Lastly, for vegan butter I used Earth Balance butter.

1 comment:

Mrs. Scannura Ritzer said...

I read this right before I went to bed and I'm not even kidding...I was dreaming about your muffins!! Haha :-)

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing