Black Forest Cake
* Prep Time: 30 minutes
* Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
* Ingredients (for cake batter):
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar*
- 2 egg replacers, follow box directions*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk*
- 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
* Ingredients (for frosting materials):
- 1/2 cup kirsch*
- 1 cup soy butter*
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 2 pinch salt
- 2 tsp brewed coffee
- 2 (14 oz.) cans pitted cherries, drained
- 1 can vegan whipped cream, to top*
- maraschino cherries, to top
- 1 bar semisweet chocolate, shaved, to top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix.
- Combine the non-dairy milk with the vinegar. Place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, whip the sugar and vegetable shortening until combined.
- Mix the egg replacers in a small bowl until frothy.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the sugar mixture, egg replacers, butter milk, and vanilla extract. Mix until batter is smooth.
- Line the bottom of two round 8 in. pans with parchment paper. Pour half the batter in each.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Let cool completely and remove the parchment paper. Cut each cake in half horizontally making 4 cakes total.
- Sprinkle each layer with the kirsch.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add confectioners sugar, pinch of salt, and coffee. Beat until smooth. If the consistency is too thick, add a couple teaspoons of cherry juice.
- Roughly chop up the cherries.
- Spread the frosting over each layer. Add cherries. Repeat for all layers except the top one (so two more times).
- Top one layer with another layer of cake until all 4 are on top of one another.
- Continue frosting the entire cake.
- Shave chocolate and cover the cake with it.
- Top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.