Tempeh Crab Cakes
* Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
* Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- 1 package (8 oz.) tempeh, finely chopped*
- 1/2 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow and red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup lobster and oyster mushrooms, finely chopped*
- 5 tbsp vegan mayonnaise*
- 1/2 medium lemon, juiced
- 1/4 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce*
- 1 "egg" replacer, follow box instructions*
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp Old Bay seasoning*
- 1/2 tsp dried mustard
- dash of cayenne, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 sheet nori, toasted, crumbled*
- 1/3 cup round crackers (like Ritz), crushed
- all-purpose flour, to dust
- peanut oil, to fry
- In a very large bowl, mix the tempeh with all the vegetables. Add in the condiments and spices. Mix well.
- Over a burner, toast a sheet of nori on each side. Crumble into the bowl. Add the crackers. Mix contents well.
- Heat a large skillet with peanut oil over medium heat.
- On the counter, dust with flour. Form the crab cake mixture into medium sized balls. Flatten a bit and coat the entire crab cake in flour.
- Fry on each side until completely golden.
- Serve with vegan tartar sauce or horseradish sauce and coleslaw.
For vegan tartar sauce or horseradish sauce, Follow Your Heart just came out with jars of both. If you can find them, I recommend the horseradish one. I really enjoy it! I also have a lemon dill tartar sauce recipe here on Vegan Miss.The coleslaw is a recipe of mine from when I made California Reuben Sandwiches a little bit ago.