* Prep Time: 10 minutes
* Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- 2 cups short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, sliced
- 1 box (7 oz.) of chick'n strips*
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced
- 1 package (12 oz.) vegan chorizo*
- 1 package (12 oz.) vegan shrimp*
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup dried lobster mushrooms, rehydrated, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried oyster mushrooms, rehydrated, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small lemon, zested
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning*
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium pot, combine vegetable stock, rice, bay leaf, saffron. Cook until rice is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, in a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Once onions are cooked, add the chick'n strips, garlic, red pepper, chorizo, shrimps, peas, and mushrooms. Cook for another 10 minutes or so until everything looks nicely browned or tender.
- In a blender, combine the remaining ingredients. Add to the pot and stir well. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- When rice is done, remove bay leaf and add to the pot with paella mixture. Stir well to combine. Serve with lemon wedge if desired.
As a side note, you could also opt to add celery into this dish or use regular white short-grain rice. The lobster and oysters mushrooms were added to give a more seafood-y taste (plus, I love fungi). You could opt to leave them out if you like or use a fresh variety of both.