* Prep Time: 10 minutes
* Cook Time: 30 minutes
* Ingredients (for teriyaki sauce):
- 1 cup soy sauce or tamari*
- 1 cup brown sugar*
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock
- 1 tsp mirin*
- 1/2 package (14 oz.) of firm tofu, cut into 1/2 in. slices
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted (optional to toast)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp nori, ripped apart or cut into fine strips
- Combine all ingredients and bring to a boil in small sauce pan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Be careful not to let the sauce boil over.
- Refrigerate for up to 2 months.
- Press tofu of any water before starting.
- Bring oil in frying pan to hot heat.
- Put the flour on a plate and dredge each side of the tofu completely in it.
- Add the tofu to the frying pan and fry each side to a golden brown color.
- In a new frying pan, put the tofu in there and add the teriyaki sauce. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduse and let simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Turn tofu over periodically in order to coat each side.
- Remove from pan and serve on top of hot rice. Top with sesame seeds, scallions, and nori.